In 1974, The Junior League of Fort Worth formed the Tarrant County Child Abuse Task Force in response to the alarming pervasiveness of child abuse and neglect within its community. In response to this call to action and under the direction of the agency’s first board president, Beverly Smith Snyder, The Parenting Guidance Center (PGC) was established and later incorporated on May 14, 1975.
Later that year, Ewing Cooley joined the PGC family as its very first Executive Director. Through the generosity of the Sid W. Richardson Foundation, MHMR of Tarrant County and the Junior League of Fort Worth, PGC first opened its doors to the public on December 5, 1975 at 1409 Summit Avenue in Fort Worth, Texas, serving four clients in its first month of operations.
As the successor to Ewing Cooley, Dorothy St. John became the Executive Director of the Parenting Guidance Center in 1976. Under her leadership, PGC provided counseling services to 350 families in its first full year of service. PGC was growing quickly and would soon need a facility it could call its own, while also meeting the growing needs of its clients.
In 1980, with grant support from the Amon G. Carter Foundation and the National Council of Jewish Women, the Board of Directors approved a land purchase that would be the future site of a new PGC facility. Construction at 2928 W. 5th Street was completed in 1983 and has served as the home of The Parenting Center since 1984.
For nearly five decades, The Parenting Center (TPC) has ensured that our Fort Worth and Tarrant County neighbors have never had to travel the journey’s of life without a village to support them along the way.
Since 1975, TPC has remained committed to ayr market established efforts to end chid abuse and neglect in the homes and communities we serve, while also evolving our scope of services to meet the growing and specialized needs of families, parents, couples, youth, individuals and you.